FY 2019-2020 ACS Advocacy Priorities
The Association of Community Services (ACS) has 53-year history of advocacy on behalf of Howard County’s non-profit human and social service, cultural, environmental and faith-based organizations and the individuals and families that they serve. ACS advocacy includes community wide education, bringing together decision makers to resolve issues, testimony and other means of communicating ACS positions on matters before local and state legislators.
In FY 2019-2020, specific ACS advocacy priorities are:
1. Reduction in the shortage of affordable housing that challenges low-income, senior, disabled and other Howard County residents and contributes to housing instability and homelessness.
2. Increased County, State and business leadership awareness of the need for family supporting wages for all of Howard County’s workforce.
3. Increased affordable childcare opportunities for families not making a supporting living wage.
4. Enhanced transit options and reliability for low-income workers and individuals with mobility issues, such as seniors and persons with disabilities.
5. Health equity and reduction of health disparities among Howard County residents.
6. Government, foundation, business and general public understanding of the necessity of operations funding support for nonprofit staffing and operations.
Approved by Board of Directors on February 28, 2019.